This week we didn’t have an artsy lesson, instead Tamara interviewed Roben-Marie Smith who is an awesome teacher and artist. Tam does this once in a while so we can catch up on some lessons we’ve missed or try and redo some lessons we are not happy about. It is also a good time to go back and revisit the lessons we’ve enjoyed and make a new project.
I thought about redoing Roben’s lesson from last year because I wasn’t very happy with it. I’ll be doing that this week too.
Instead, I made some cards for a couple of challenges.
Technique Challenge at Club Scrap
I subscribe to Club Scrap to get information on their new releases and to be inspired by their scrapbook pages and cards made by their Artists Team
The technique for this month was the Stained Glass look hosted by Lisa Dolezal.
I jumped right in because I found a stained glass die on clearance at Hobby Lobby!
Lisa used Color Burst Powder, but since I don’t have Color Burst powder, I used Colourcraft Brushos Crystals and Magical Micas from Lindy’s Stamp Gang.
I started by spraying water on the watercolor paper, then using the shaker container, I applied only three colors that would not make mud – Color Brusho in Lime Green; Rose Red, and Yellow Ochre. The results were stunning! I got a clear vivid image I was thrilled with.
After the Brusho powders dried, I cut out the background and the “stained glass” out of shiny silver cardstock. I did notice that the cardstock came out with a strange texture because it picked up the scratches from the plate when I ran it through the cutter; but I took advantage of that since it made it more realistic.
I cut a piece of acetate and glued it between the watercolor paper and the die cut and added pink floss and tied it in a bow. Then I glued this piece to two other pieces of cardstock. Then stamped the sentiment, cut it apart and adhered it to the stained glass.
This is a closeup of the background and the sentiment.
This is the technique that Lisa demonstrated using the Stamper Star
In my haste, instead of following the directions, to stamp and emboss the image first, then add the Color Burst powder, I used the dried watercolor paper with the Brushos, then using my MISTI, I stamped the image a couple of times to get a good impression.
The results weren’t as stunning as Lisa’s project, but I managed to save the project by adding several different mediums to the paper like stencils, molding paste, other stamps, then I added black ink to the edges and adhered it to black cardstock so I can put it in a frame later. I’ve had this stamp so long, I don’t remember the name of the kit, but I also used the alphas and the border that came with it.
A few close-ups
I’m going ahead and adding this to the challenge as well.
Thanks for visiting!